Groupwise 6 for windows plus Mcafee HIPS 7.0.833
b***@gmail.com
2008-12-02 00:26:10 UTC
We are rolling out the Mcafee HIPS software. So for it works good on
our Win XP desktops but our Win 2003 servers are having a couple of
issues.

We are using VirusScan 8.5 patch 6, Mcafee Agent 4.0.1180 and
AntiSpyware 8.5.0.163.
On our windows servers we run Groupwise for Windows version 6.5.7. The
MTA seems to work but the POA errors out with a message "TCP/IP may
not be configured" and then terminates. The MTA/POA are installed as a
service.

The POA log files contain:
17:38:23 4B8
17:38:23 4B8 ************************* Initializing
************************
17:38:28 644 Checking guardian database
17:38:28 644 Guardian database: OK
17:38:29 4B8 Error opening dispatcher UDP port [8509]
17:38:29 4B8 Shutdown of Threads
17:38:29 4B8 Error Starting TCP/IP Agent: [8509]
17:38:37 4B8
<general info about the POA setup>
17:38:39 4B8
************************Terminating*************************

I tried disabling the firewall and host/network intrusion prevention
but this had no effect. I had to actually uninstall the HIPS software
from the server before it would work. After doing this and rebooting
it works normally.

Is there any way to fix this?
Marcel Cox
2008-12-02 19:15:52 UTC
Byrnecc,

Your message was not posted to the official Novell news
server. While your news server might show the Novell support
newsgroups, Novell has no official connection with other news
servers on the Internet. Therefore, the message you posted
will probably never propagate to the official Novell server.
The SysOps only see messages on the Novell server and for
that reason, you will probably never get a reply to your
message posted here.

I suggest you post your message directly to the official
Novell news server at news://forums.novell.com or to Novell's
Web based forums at http://forums.novell.com. The access to
Novell's news server is free and does not require registration.
The access to Novell’s web forums requires registration but
Everyone who wants can register. See
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php for details.

This message was posted automatically. Please do not reply
to it.
--
Marcel Cox
Novell Support Forums SysOp